Date Published: January 22, 2021
The Competition Commission has released the final guidelines for competition in the South African automotive aftermarket.
Competition Commission releases final automotive guidelines
The new guidelines set by the Competition Commission will take effect on the 1st of July 2021.
The guidelines set by the Competition Commission will create an opportunity for development amongst small, independent and historically disadvantaged service providers.
The service providers will conduct service, maintenance and repair work while vehicles are in-warranty. Consumers now have the opportunity to use cheaper, private parts without affecting their car warranty.
Independent workshops can be between 30% and 50% cheaper than the vehicle manufacturer’s approved dealer without using weaker or pirate parts.
The final guidelines were published in December after the commission has been consulting with the different role players in the business since 2017.
The release of the guidelines came about after there were many complaints from independent role players and the public. These complaints were over alleged anti-competitive behavior of the independent role players from the aftersales market.
What are the aims of the new guidelines?
- Role-players should insure the fair allocation of repair work by insurers.
- Promote the rights of consumers to use original or non-original spare parts during the lifespan of their vehicle.
- Remove original-equipment manufacturer(OEM) restrictions in the sale and distribution of original parts.
- Promote consumer choice in the purchase of maintenance and service plans.
- Enable access to OEM training and technical information by independent service providers.
Services offered at 3 Service Centre
3 Service Centre is an independent specialist workshop that uses original parts to repair cars. These are the services offered at 3 service centre;
- All Services as per BM’s Recommended Condition Based Servicing Schedule
- All Mechanical Repairs
- Troubleshooting, Fault Finding and Electronic Diagnostic
- Engine overhauls (by appointment only)
- All suspension work
- Most electronic repairs
- Pre-purchase vehicle check by appointment.
- BM Original Parts
Author: Omega Fumba