Are you going away for the holidays? Then it is worth spending a few minutes checking the basics on your car. This will save you lots of heartache later on!
What Can I Check Myself?
There are many things on your car that you can check yourself. From wheel pressure to wiper blades. Here is our basic list:
- Walk around your car and look for anything that looks wrong, this includes:
- Tyres – are they looking flat? Do they still have enough tread?
- Wiper blades – these are so easy and cheap to replace.
- Windows and light covers – any cracks?
- Anything else looking like it is broken or a problem?
- Get in the car, switch it on, and have someone stand outside to help you check your lights and indicators. This includes checking the brake lights!
- Are your turn signals working properly? Check the hooter as well!
- Remember, a light that is out might not bother you, but it will get you stopped by the traffic police.
- This might be the most important part of your car. It keeps you on the road.
- Does each tyre have enough tread?
- Look for damage on the sides of the tires.
- Look for nails in the tyres. You might have a nail and not know that you have a slow leak on that wheel.
Open the Bonnet
- Check the water levels of the car.
- Check the oil levels.
- Fill up the window washer bottle.
- Make sure you close the bonnet properly!
Do I need to Service my Car before going on Holiday?
If your car is close to its normal service time, then now is a good time to have it serviced. Before you go on holiday! This will give you peace of mind that a professional has checked everything and fixed any underlying problems.
You can book a service with us here.
Some of the things we will check when we service your car are: